Skin tones vary over a large spectrum, ranging from ivory to chocolate. Whereas those on the lighter end are more likely to experience sunburns and facial redness, those with darker skin colors are more prone to hyperpigmentation and melasma. Therefore, it is quite understandable why each group needs a different set of beauty products that would cater to their specific problems.
However, not many options are available in the market for nourishing and reviving dark skin. Therefore, finding the best skincare for black women is no less than a struggle. For this very reason, we have compiled a list of the hidden gems that many may not know about.
Marla Rene – Micellar Cucumber Aloe Facial Cleansing Water
Made without any toxic ingredients, this micellar water has soothing properties due to the presence of cucumber extracts. Not only is it a perfect makeup remover for dry and damaged skin, but also helps control the excessive shine which is peculiar to oleaginous skin. Besides serving as a makeup remover, this product also acts as an excellent cleanser and astringent.
- Comprises of chamomile extract, cucumber and calendula, thus offering the benefits of all three
- Contains Vitamin B5 that keeps the skin hydrated
- Formulated via the use of just 8 ingredients, most of which are plant-based
- Does not contain phthalates and parabens
- Has antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties
- Serves multiple skincare purposes
- Can also be used as a cleanser for makeup brushes
- Cleans the skin without depriving it of moisture
- Unclogs pores without causing any irritation
- Heals damaged skin
Black Girl Sunscreen-Broad Spectrum SPF 30
The reason this product should be a part of your daily skincare routine is that it was created by someone who could relate to the struggle of finding a sunscreen suitable for their melanin-rich skin. Thus, it incorporates all the benefits that any pre-existing brand in the market failed to offer.
- SPF 30
- 100% natural
- Vegan product
- Reef safe as well as cruelty-free
- Has a sheer formula
- Serves the additional purpose of a moisturizer
- Helps prevent acne
- Evens out the skin tone
- Protects the skin from harmful UV rays and heals one that has already been sunburnt
Dr. Barbara Sturm-Darker Skin Tones Enzyme Cleanser
This enzyme-based product not only serves as a cleanser but also as an exfoliator, thus peeling off dry, dead skin and resulting in a refreshed look. Furthermore, it also diminishes dark spots and helps get rid of the surplus amount of sebum in our pores.
The fact that it is a favorite amongst celebrities like Angela Bassett and Jada Pinkett Smith is in itself proof of its excellent results.
- A 2-in-1 product (serves as a cleanser as well as an enzymatic peel)
- Comes in the form of a powder (can be worked into a lather with water)
- Free from parabens, sulfates, silicone, and phthalates
- Infused with Vitamin C
- Free from artificial fragrances
- Provides the skin with nourishment
- Evens out the skin tone
- Helps minimize pores
- Helps reduce hyperpigmentation
The Afro Hair & Skin Co.- Flow Perfectly Balanced Face Oil
Since melanin-rich skin has higher chances of developing dark spots and hyperpigmentation, the Flow Perfectly Balanced Face Oil serves as an excellent protectant with ingredients such as Black Currant Seed Oil and Frankincense, thus resulting in a balanced complexion and healthy, glowing skin.
- Comprises of Black Currant Seed Oil, Frankincense, and Hazelnut Oil, thus offering the benefits of all three.
- Lightweight formula
- Suitable for all skin types
- Controls accumulation of excess oils on the skin
- Protects against hyperpigmentation
- Soothes skin affected by eczema
- Helps the skin recover from inflammation
- Helps make fine lines, scars, and dark spots less prominent
Shea Moisture – African Black Soap Clarifying Mud Mask
Containing extracts of the African Black Soap, this mask helps diminish dark spots. Besides, it serves as an excellent cleanser that will free your skin from all impurities. Furthermore, it contains oat that helps exfoliate, whereas Shea Butter gives it a creamy texture that is perfect for a mask.
- Dermatologically tested
- Contains Avocado Oil and Jojoba Oil that moisturizes the skin and keeps it soft after the mask is removed
- Contains Tea Tree Oil that helps purify the skin
- Bentonite and Kaolin mud combine with oat and Shea Butter to serve as a perfect exfoliator
- Extracts dirt and impurities from the skin
- Absorbs excess oil from the skin
- Serves as a soothing agent and cleanser for blemish-prone skin
SDotBeauty-Daybreak Daily Serum
This serum serves as an excellent moisturizer for daily use. Its antioxidant oils penetrate the skin and form a protective layer against environmental stressors.
- Contains free radical scavengers and antioxidants
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Has the combined benefits of Argan Oil, Sandalwood Oil, and Prickly Pear Oil
- Moisturizes the skin
- Protects it from harsh environmental conditions
- Helps maintain a young-looking skin
- Boosts the renewal of skin cells
Lime Green- Multi-Oil
GrandMa’s beauty hacks never become obsolete. Limegreen Multi-Oil is proof of that. It is created from natural ingredients, the details of which were shared with the founders by their grandmother.
This product has multiple uses; it can serve as face oil, makeup remover as well as a moisturizer.
- This oil is completely waterless
- It serves multiple purposes
- Has a light formula
- Has been certified as an “organic product”
- Gets quickly absorbed into the skin
- Hydrates and softens the skin
- Clears away any makeup residue gently and easily
Avya-Face Moisturizer with SPF
This is a perfect moisturizer for your morning skincare routine. It also contains SPF to protect you from harmful UV rays throughout the day. Furthermore, all its ingredients are derived from plants. It leaves the skin soft and energizes it such that it has a healthy-looking glow throughout the day.
- Contains SPF
- Free of sulfates, GMOs, parabens, and phthalates
- Dermatologically tested
- Caters to hyperpigmentation and dark spots
- Makes the skin look brighter and refreshed
- Keeps the skin hydrated by locking in moisture into it
- Helps to combat skin inflammation
These are some of the products that have proved themselves for providing the best skincare for black women. However, as compared to the number of options that those with lighter skin tones have, the range for people of color is still limited. However, the introduction of brands mentioned above is a ray of hope and may pave the way for many more makeup and skincare items that specifically meet the needs of dark-colored, melanin-rich skin.