After a long night of binge-watching your favorite show on Netflix, when you wish to rip away the remains of the night like the clothes you slept in, your under eyes don’t get the memo. Surviving on unhealthy amounts of caffeine and mid-day snoozes, nobody could tell about your escapades had it not been for these stubborn patches under your eyes.
Fatigue, sleep deprivation, allergies, eye strain, and genetics are some of the causes of dark circles, but they even appear naturally with age. They often show up due to thinning of the skin or because of constriction of blood vessels with time, called hyperpigmentation. Since the skin around your eyes is so delicate, it tends to show signs of aging very early on. In your early or mid-twenties, it’s prime time to get your hands on an eye cream free of harsh chemicals and toxins.
If you’re looking for a way to brighten your eye area, a coconut oil eye cream may be your best bet. Although there may be no scientific studies backing up the effectiveness of coconut oil as a magic potion for under eyes, researches do show that coconut oil eye cream is effective in thickening the skin and reducing inflammation, both of which contribute to the formation of dark circles. It is also said to have healing and antioxidant properties to deeply nourish and repair the skin, improving its appearance eventually.
You can even make a coconut eye cream at home. It’s the easiest, no-fuss DIY cream and all you need is just two ingredients. Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil and a Vitamin E capsule. All you need to do is, melt coconut oil either in a double boiler or microwave, as soon as it starts to melt, just pierce in a Vitamin E capsule and stir your concoction. Then refrigerate your mixture to let it solidify and you’re done! Both the ingredients in this cream are jam-packed with benefits for your skin and your eye cream is 100% chemical, toxin, and fragrance-free. You no longer need to worry about any harmful side effects it may have in the long run.
It also makes for the perfect gift!
How to apply coconut oil eye cream under your eyes?
Okay, now that you’ve acquired your tub of coconut oil eye cream, it’s time to get down to business. First things first, you need to remember that this is now a part of your nighttime skincare routine. We all expect to see results after two days of using a new skincare product, but that’s just wishful thinking on our part. Like every other product, you won’t be seeing any results of using an eye cream after at least two to four weeks of applying it religiously.
Here’s how to apply your coconut oil eye cream:
- Get your face ready, exfoliate, tone, and moisturize. Make sure your skin is clean before applying the coconut oil eye cream. Say goodbye to any results if your under-eye is covered in dirt and impurities from the day.
- Scoop out a pea-sized amount of your eye cream from the tub using your ring finger. Eye creams usually have a very concentrated formula so a pea-sized amount should be more than enough. Seriously, no need to go overboard!
- Gently dot the cream on the contours of your eye from the inner to outer corner using the same finger. Since your ring finger is the weakest out of all, it applies just the right amount of pressure to the delicate skin under your eyes.
- After dotting, just pat the cream all around the eye with the same finger until it’s distributed equally. Make sure not to rub it in, no matter how tempted you are just to get this over with (we’ve all been there) but rubbing can damage and tear the delicate skin around your eyes.
- You can even lightly go over your eyelids to moisturize and nourish them.
Certainly, before going in with your coconut oil eye cream just like any other products you apply to your body, make sure to do a patch test! Allergies to coconut are extremely rare but still a possibility. Just apply a dime-sized amount of your cream to a small area of your skin and wait for any reaction. If you don’t experience any itching or redness in the next twenty-four hours, you’re good to go.